Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ages 8+


Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: Moving Day by Meg Cabot
When Allie's parents announce that the family is moving, Allie's sure her life is over. She's not at all happy about having to give up her pretty pink wall-to-wall carpeting for creaky floorboards and creepy secret passageways.....not to mention leaving her modern, state-of-the-art suburban school for a rundown, old-fashioned school just two blocks from her new house.
With a room she's half-scared to go into, the burden of being "the new girl", and her old friends all a half-hour car ride away, how will Allie ever learn to fit in?
-from scholastic.com
When I first started this book I wasn't enjoying it very much, and I was finding the main character to be kind of annoying. I was thinking that maybe it was one of those books that would appeal to kids but adults wouldn't like. Since I am a huge fan of Meg Cabot, I didn't give up three chapters in like I wanted to. I'm glad I didn't give up on this book because it improved greatly about halfway through. After Allie's so-called best friend Mary Kay (who is really lame, by the way) stops speaking to her, I enjoyed the book a lot more. Then I realized that it actually wasn't Allie that I didn't like, it was all the parts about Mary Kay. She's supposed to be annoying, but it was hard to understand why Allie was friends with her at all, since they had basically nothing in common. I guess it was just a friendship of convenience, since Mary Kay is the only girl her age who lives on her street. Luckily, for the sake of the story, Allie realizes pretty soon that her and Mary Kay are better off parting ways. Although Mary Kay is super annoying, I think young girls could relate to having a friend like that, who you don't really like but still hang out with for whatever reason.
One thing I really liked about this book was it has a really good message about change. Allie thinks that her life will be ruined by moving, but it actually turns out to be a good change in the end. I also liked the part where Allie saves the turtle. (You'll have to read it to find out what happens!)
After I finished the book, I felt that this would be a great series to start a 3rd to 5th grade girl on. I think Allie Finkle is a relatable character for that age group. I'm glad I kept reading!
Rating: Borrow from the library or buy in paperback

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you held on, too! I love it when a book pays off in the end after a bumpy start. Great review!

    ReplyDelete