Sunday, July 11, 2010

Family Reading Invitation Update!!


My Father-in-Law & I read Treasure Island together. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it since it wasn't something I would normally read. We both thought it was groundbreaking and enjoyable. (I can't even count how many times he's read the book!) While we liked that all the characters were essential in the story we did have our favorites. He likes Dr. Livesey and I enjoyed Long John Silver. His favorite scene was when the parrot rats out Jim's arrival by screeching out "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!" and mine was when Long John Silver talks his way out of the being given the Black Spot (A pirates death notice telling how long they have left to live.)


If you, or anyone you know, likes adventure and pirate tales, they might enjoy this book. However, we should warn you the book may be harder to read for some. There were times I got confused by some of the vocabulary used. While the Barnes & Noble Classics series is a little helpful, the heavy use of nautical terms and old English slang can be hard to understand for some readers. We both thought 11+ would probably be a good age to attempt the book at. --Jen

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would read this book now, but when I was a kid, I loved it. It had all the right adventures.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a fun read. But I agree with you, children would probably get more from it than adults. Thanks for the great comment!

    ReplyDelete