Monday, October 11, 2010

The Search for WondLa

by Tony DiTerlizzi
"Don't you get it, Muthr?" Eva said, affronted. "Look at the girl and her parent. Look at their robot. See how happy they all are?"

Eva Nine had never seen the actual sun before, or walked outdoors. In fact, she had never seen another living person in all twelve years of her life. That changes when a marauding huntsman destroys her underground home and sends her fleeing for her life. So begins the harrowing quest of Eva Nine, seemingly the only human alive on an extraordinary alien planet. Through daring escapes, confrontations with beguiling characters, and travels over spectacular vistas, Eva is led by a single clue that gives her hope: a crumbling picture of a girl, a robot, and a human with only the word "WONDLA" still visible on it. Along the way, she comes to understand the true meaning of home and family.

With its classic prose and breathtaking illustrations, The Search for WondLa is sure to inspire dreams. The search is just the beginning......

This book cast a spell over me. I became completely drawn into Eva Nine's world, and her adventures with the various fascinating characters that she meets throughout the story. I was up until 3am because I needed to know if she was going to find any more humans on the planet.

I read the Advance Reader Copy of this book, which was missing most of the illustrations. The illustrations that are in it are absolutely amazing. I was already a fan of Tony DiTerlizzi from The Spiderwick Chronicles, but this is his best work yet. I could just feel the pictures coming off the page. I will definitely be purchasing the fully illustrated hardcover edition!

The best news about this book (and also the worst, if you're impatient like me), is that it's the beginning of a series. I will tell you this much- the ending leaves you totally hanging. I can't wait for book two! This is solid science fiction that would be great for anyone age 9 and up. Or should I say age 9 to 99? This is one of those books that adults will enjoy just as much as adolescents.

Rating: Buy it, buy it, buy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment