Thursday, October 21, 2010

In honor of Halloween........



The Doom of the Haunted Opera


By John Bellairs


"Beware!" the ghost whispered. "Beware the doom of the haunted opera! He means to be King of the Dead!"



When Lewis Barnavelt and Rose Rita Pottinger explore an old, abandoned theater, they find an unpublished opera score. Disregarding the warning of the ghost, they bring the sheet music to school, where The Day of Doom is heralded as a masterpiece.

Then Henry Vanderhelm, the composer's grandson, arrives and manipulates the town into putting on a performance of the opera. Only Vanderhelm knows that when the opera is played, the dead will awaken.......to help Harry Vanderhelm enslave the world! Will Lewis and Rose Rita stop the performance- or watch the curtains rise on the undead?




My mom gave this book to me last year for Christmas. What a perfect book to read for Halloween! And it's illustrated by Edward Gorey, my favorite artist. What more could I want?


I'm just starting it, so I will update later to let everyone know how it was.



HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment